Social connection is an area of need for older adults in Lorain County.
- Why — Social connections are a protective factor for chronic diseases, depression, and suicide.
- Social connections are strongest when they’re with peers.
- What’s being done — Two years ago Lorain County Public Health started the Buddy Connect program (think: big brothers big sisters for seniors).
- About 40 clients and volunteers talk on the phone twice a month, meet up at the client’s home to hang out, and 2-4 times per year they meet up for a social gathering.
- Funding for the program went away about 4 months ago since 40 people isn’t very many… but they’re trying to keep the program going, even in a modified way.
- Half of the clients are from Elyria. Elyria is unique because there is no dedicated senior center.
- Need — More volunteers who are willing to connect with older adults in the community. They also need transportation for their clients, some of whom are home bound. Feel free to refer potential clients into the program.