Who: The Learning Zone
What: A childcare center operated by the Lorain Salvation
Army. The Learning Zone provides after-school care during the school
year, and a full-day summer camp from June-August. At the Learning
Zone, we provide tutoring, academic enrichment, and build social skills
year-round to at-risk Lorain youth. We believe that character development
is most important, and we strive to share the love of Jesus with every child who walks through our doors.
Where: 2506 Broadway Avenue Lorain, Ohio 44052
Ways that you can support the Learning Zone:
Sponsor a Student:
- Tuition: cover weekly, monthly, or even yearly tuition rates. Recipients
are selected based on financial need, and academic effort.
- Tuition + Experiences: cover a child’s tuition and the cost of routine trip
and/or field trip admission.
Sponsor an Experience
- Field Trips: Cover the cost of admission for a Field Trip ($5-$10 /
- Routine Trips: cover the cost of admission for a Routine Trip ($1-$3 /
- Science and Arts Activities: Donate to our Science and Art Activities
Fund to cover the costs of materials needed for experiments and
With your time
We rely heavily on volunteer assistance. Here are some ways you can give
your time to the Learning Zone both during the school year AND during the
- Chaperone field trips
- Tutor – our students need one-on-one attention to their academics. You
don’t have to be an educator to be a great tutor! By simply listening to a
child read, playing a math game, or practicing a skill, you make a huge
- Volunteer Camp Counselor- Assist Learning Zone staff in the day-to-
day Summer Camp operations.
- Guest teach- there are many areas you can share your passions and
skills with our students. Some areas we love to have guests teach
include, but are not limited to:
- Recreational activity
- Music (singing or instrumental)
- Life skills
- Group service days – Have a team, department at work, youth group,
or just a group of friends who’d like to volunteer? We have a range of
opportunities for your group to volunteer.
If you would like to get involved, please contact the Learning Zone Director:
440-244-1921 ext. 225